Bill is married to Susan Binegar Hightower, and they have three children; Will (wife: Jeanette (Brabston)), Haven, and Ben, and two grandchildren. Bill originally moved to Mobile in 1968, with his mom and dad, when his father established one of the first Open Heart Surgery Centers on the gulf coast.
In his youth, Bill worked at his grandparent’s farm, cleaned swimming pools, and also worked as a laborer on construction projects. Bill attended University of South Alabama and graduated with his B.S. in Commercial Banking/Finance, with studies in economics from the London School of Economics & Political Science. He later went on to receive his M.B.A. at Vanderbilt University.
Bill has worked with Fortune 100 corporations including Emerson Electric, AlliedSignal, Eaton, and Balfour-Beatty. In 2002, shortly after the terror attacks of September 11, Bill returned home to Mobile, to be closer to family.
He now runs several small businesses. His business experience makes him uniquely qualified to contribute job-growing policies for hard-working families in Alabama.
Bill is an Advisory Board Member to Outback America, a Christian organization that holds family camps in Mobile and other cities; a Board Chairman of a local Christian School; a Board Member to N.E.S.T., a local organization servicing the needs of the Strickland Youth Center; an Executive Committee Member of the Alabama and Mobile Republican Parties; and a member of the Order of St. George.
In the Alabama State Senate, he serves on the following committees:
- Constitution, Ethics, & Elections (Chair)
- Banking and Insurance (Vice Chair)
- Fiscal Responsibility & Economic Development
- Local Legislation No. 3 (Chair)
- County & Municipal Government
- Finance & Taxation General Fund
Over the years, Bill has been active as:
- Board member of Bethany Christian Adoption Services
- Toastmasters International President
- United Way Corporate Chairman
- Arts & Community Music programs
- Peace & Reconciliation Entities in the Middle East & Europe
- The National Prayer Breakfast
- Counsel Member for Governor Bentley on the Alabama State Health Planning Counsel